Here’s an interesting discussion from TVNZ’s Media7 programme (see video below). A discussion on the problems and issues with science communication in New Zealand.
It’s an interesting discussion covering aspects like:
- The lack of journalists with scientific background;
- The low priority given to science by the media;
- Poor communication skill of many scientists;
- The Crown Research Institutes’ bureaucracy’s fear of the media and subsequent restriction on contact with scientists, and
- The relative freedom of university scientists.
The NZ Sciblogs new blogging platform was also discussed. Due to be launched this month this will provide a platform for blogging scientists. About 20 scientists are involved initially but this will expand as more come on board. Peter Griffin hopes that this will encourage development of a new crop of science communicators.
Download the audio file: (media7_s3_e8_part1.mp3)