Water fluoridation is flavour of the month again for anti-science conspiracy theorists who consider it mass-medication or in the case of Rusty Kage, sorry Kane, mass poisoning. Anyone for a root canal? Rusty?
The US Centre for Disease Control ranks fluoridation of water number 9 on its top 10 list of the greatest public health achievements of the 20th century.
* Motor-vehicle safety
* Safer workplaces
* Control of infectious diseases
* Decline in deaths from coronary heart disease and stroke
* Safer and healthier foods
* Healthier mothers and babies
* Family planning
* Fluoridation of drinking water
* Recognition of tobacco use as a health hazard
From the CDC: Fluoridation of drinking water began in 1945 and in 1999 reaches an estimated 144 million persons in the United States. Fluoridation safely and inexpensively benefits both children and adults by effectively preventing tooth decay, regardless of socioeconomic status or access to care. Fluoridation has played an important role in the reductions in tooth decay (40%-70% in children) and of tooth loss in adults (40%-60%) (5).