Over at The Homeless Adjunct there is an interesting article called “How the American University was Killed, in Five Easy Steps“. It is an interesting article, which posits that American Universities are going into decline, largely as the result of American corporatism which has promoted:
1) Defunding of Public Higher Education
2) Deprofessionalisation and impoverishment of the professors
3) Increased governance of universities by a management/administrative class
4) Increased corporate funding and a corporate culture moving into universities
5) Destroying the students – achieved by dumbing down of content plus increasing costs of courses results in only the rich elite being able to afford higher education, with others going into massive debt to obtain qualifications.
It is an interesting article, and although it has overtones of conspiracy theory which makes me a little wary, it is interesting to ponder the points made, as New Zealand universities are have undergone similar changes, but more slowly than universities in the USA.